Assists the Finance Department in maintaining accurate accounting systems for Head Start of Lane County, including but not limited to: general ledger transactions,budgeting, payroll, financial analysis, audit preparation and retirement plan administration.
Essential Job Responsibilities – Performance Indicators
I Accounting Support (55%)
- Assist with A/P, A/R, inventory, and payroll functions.
- Conduct monthly audit of employee benefit status, including payment of insurance premiums, flexible spending accounts, etc.
- Verify and adjust invoices as needed and prepare requisition orders for all benefit provider payments.
- Track COBRA payments from terminated employees; maintain accurate records and terminate coverage when appropriate.
- Process employee unemployment claims.
- Assist with monthly new hire/rec-class orientations, EWS and unemployment training.
- Assist with reception desk coverage weekly, with a commitment to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Interact with staff in a professional manner and respond to their requests efficiently and effectively, so as to ease and improve communications regarding finances.
II General Ledger Accounting (30%)
- Prepare transactions for posting including A/P, A/R and journal vouchers.
- Reconcile assigned General Ledger accounts monthly.
- Assist with annual audit and other periodic audits as required.
III Budgeting (15%)
- Take part in annual budget committee meetings along with Finance Director.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget, agency budgets, and government funding applications and status reports.
- Ability to both analyze financial data and develop solutions to the problems encountered along with solid written and verbal communications skills is required.
- Associates Degree in Accounting or related field preferred, but not required.
- Not for profit accounting systems experience and payroll experience preferred.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and clarity related to efficient and defective financial operations, while understanding materiality thresholds and the importance of accuracy.
- Ability to work in a busy environment, under pressure without compromising accuracy, attention to detail and courtesy ins essential.
Knowledge, skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to monitor and prioritize work load to meet various deadlines.
- Proven ability to understand and utilize complex computerized software systems.
- Well developed interpersonal skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, flexible.
- Ability to work in a team environment and provide assistance in collaborative fashion.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Enrollment in Child Care Division – Central Background Registry required prior to hire.
- All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality.
- This job description may not be all-inclusive, and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by Finance Director. Job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity.
- 52 weeks per program year
- Supervised by Finance Director