Assists in maintaining accurate accounting systems for Head Start of Lane County, including: primary responsibility for Accounts Payable, account analysis and financial reporting, occasional back-up for Accounts Receivable, and Payroll. Utilize Agency adopted Accounting software to process data and complete reports and other documentation.
Accounts Payable (55%).
- Serve as administrator for Electronic Requisitioning (E-Req) and assist staff in proper use of the system when necessary.
- Process approved electronic requisitions checking for coding accuracy regarding program, region and department and ensuring proper approval levels.
- Prepare electronic requisitions for reoccurring expenses such as rents and utilities and process using the E-Req software.
- Prepare checks for signature and file with supporting documentation.
- Stay current on the rules and regulations regarding proper use of State and Federal Grant funds for Head Start purposes.
- Assist staff when necessary regarding proper coding of expenses and federal and state policies regarding purchases.
- Meet at least annually with Regional Assistants to go over proper requisitioning and year-end close out procedures.
- Generate, audit and file payable reports along with supporting documentation.
- Reconcile and analyze all related general ledger accounts on a monthly basis reviewing for accuracy of coding by Program, Region and Department.
Accounting Assistance (45%)
- Prepare journal vouchers to post Electronic Fund Transactions for grant revenue, 403(b) payments, garnishments, tax payments and other miscellaneous items.
- Maintain distribution and other codes within the Agency adopted accounting system.
- Assist in various report preparation to keep managers apprised of the agency’s financial status.
- Maintain and reconcile Petty Cash for the Central Office and Regions.
- Prepare weekly miscellaneous receipts for deposit and prepare and post cash receipts in Agency adopted accounting software .
- Generate information for budget preparation and year-end projections.
- Prepare for and assist with audit.
- Stay current regarding payroll processes and changes in procedures and serve as primary back-up for payroll.
- Assist the Accounts Receivable clerk with bank deposits and other related functions as needed and serve as back-up support when necessary.
- Assist in revision of Finance Procedure manual as necessary.
- Attend occasional meetings, training, etc. as needed or requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree in accounting or related field preferred and minimum of four years (full-time equivalent) relevant general accounting and financial analysis experience.
- Knowledge of Agency adopted accounting software and/or proven ability to utilize complex computerized accounting systems.
- Strong computer skills, word processing, spreadsheets, email and internet.
- Enrollment in the Child Care Division Central Background Registry.
- Health Questionnaire required post employment.
- Strong diagnostic and problem solving skills, particularly mathematical, bookkeeping and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to problem-solve and accurately reconcile general ledger accounts and perform other accounting/bookkeeping functions.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to monitor and prioritize work load and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) effectively and appropriately with others.
- Sustained concentration and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to interpret state and federal Head Start policies and regulations.
- Daily sitting at desk for long periods of time, working at computer keyboard. Frequent standing, bending or lifting files and occasionally lifting boxes up to 25 lbs.
- All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality
- 52 weeks per year
- Barg Unit
- Supervised by Finance Director
This Job Description was last updated on January 23rd, 2007. Revised July 2012. June 2018
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer.