Assists the Finance Department in maintaining accurate accounting systems for Head Start of Lane County, including but not limited to: General Ledger transactions, Budgeting, Financial Analysis and Reporting, Audit Preparation, and Retirement Plan administration
- Assist in preparing and tracking annual budgets for specific grants, programs and the agency as a whole.
- Take part in annual budget committee meetings along with Finance Director.
- Enter detailed budgets into the Agency adopted accounting software by segment to prepare monthly, detailed financial reports by program, region and region and department.
- Prepare budgeting cost scenarios to be utilized during planning and union negotiations.
Account Analysis and Financial Reporting (25%)
- Utilize Agency adopted accounting software and Excel to prepare and analyze monthly, detailed financial variance reports. Prepare detailed notes to explain variances to BOD and management.
- Analyze budget and actual financial data to prepare financial expenditure projections.
- Assist in preparation of financial analysis as requested.
General Ledger Accounting (30%)
- Oversee Period Close Process.
- Monitor Distribution Codes and allocations between programs and grants.
- Prepare transactions for posting including A/R and Journal Vouchers.
- Reconcile assigned General Ledger accounts monthly.
- Assist with Audit Preparation.
Other Responsibilities (20%)
- Assist Finance Director as necessary to process accounting transactions.
- Assist Finance Director with administration of 403(b) retirement plan.
- Reconcile bank accounts.
- Act as backup for note taking for other confidential employee’s.
- Serve as back-up for other accounting staff.
- Attend training, regional, negotiation and community meetings as needed.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Associates Degree in accounting or related field preferred and minimum of four years (full-time equivalent) relevant general accounting and financial reporting and analysis experience.
- General knowledge of Fund Accounting and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of MIP Fund Accounting software and/or proven ability to utilize complex computerized accounting systems.
- Strong computer skills. Extensive knowledge of Excel. Utilize word processing, email and the internet.
- Employment is conditional pending immediate enrollment in the Child Care Division Central Background Registry.
- Health questionnaire required post employment.
- Ability to prioritize and management work load and deadlines.
- Sustained concentration and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong diagnostic and problem solving skills, particularly mathematical, bookkeeping and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to relate to clients from diverse populations, bilingual English/Spanish language skills helpful.
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) effectively and appropriately with others.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Regular sitting, working at computer keyboard and desk. Regular standing to file documents in filing cabinets. Occasional bending, stooping and lifting up to 25 lbs.
- All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality.
- 52 weeks per year
- 40 hours per week
- Non Bargaining Unit (Confidential Position)
- Supervised by Finance Director
Policy Council Approved: January 2013. November 2017
Last Revision: January 2013. April 2016. November 2016. October 2017. June 2018.
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer