- Supervise and monitor children at all times.
- Assist in setting up environment (indoor/outdoor) for the activities of the day.
- Maintain a well-organized, safe and attractive classroom environment conducive to the optimal growth and development of children.
- Use developmentally appropriate practices to facilitate activities with groups and individuals.
- Integrate all Head Start components into classroom time. Encourage experimentation, exploration, problem solving, cooperation, socialization, and choice making; ask open-ended questions and listen respectfully to the answers.
- Observe and record behaviors of children to assist the Head Teacher and Teacher in the identification of each child’s strengths and areas to grow.
- Provide an atmosphere that promotes and reinforces parental involvement in the classroom.
- Respond to crisis or emergency situations that may occur. Provide first aid or CPR, prevent the spread of blood borne pathogens, and access emergency services as needed.
- Assist CFSW to provide daily meal service.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- Sanitize classroom equipment and laundry.
- Assure/assist in general maintenance and security of facility.
- Assist with inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Assist with breaks and other classroom needs as requested.
- Attend meetings, training’s, and appropriate professional development activities.
- Monitor and report child abuse.
- Other duties as assigned
All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality.
- Pre-school (ages 3-5) classroom assistant/ teaching experience is required, two years is preferred. Experience and knowledge should include the ability to adapt curriculum to meet the needs of all children including at risk, special needs, gifted, and culturally diverse populations as well as family dynamics and adult learning principles.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual English/Spanish skills highly desirable.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills, internet and e-mail.
- Must have a valid Oregon Driver’s License and proof of insurance and must provide own vehicle for home visits.
- Within 30 days of employment must be Pediatric CPR & First Aid certified and have a current Food Handler’s Card.
- Health Appraisal Questionnaire is required at hire and will be updated annually.
- At time of hire must be currently enrolled in Child Care Division-Central Background Registry/fingerprinting and must renew every two years.
- Within 60 days of employment, must provide valid proof of enrollment into the Oregon Registry Step’s Program. Application forms will be issued at time of Hire.
- High school diploma or GED.
- CDA or 15 credit hours in Early Childhood Education preferred.
- Must demonstrate experience and interest in working with young children, parents, and volunteers.
- Must demonstrate a strong knowledge of appropriate practices in early childhood development including working with parents.
- Must demonstrate success in working as a member of a team.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work well with young children.
Must be willing to work flexible hours in order to meet the needs of the program.
- Length of employment determined by child’s enrollment.
- Supervised by Regional Manager
Approved by Policy Council 05/2017
Created/Edited 04/2017. August 2021
This job description was last updated on 08/11/2021. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Because this position requires in-person work and is student and/or visitor facing, complete vaccination against coronavirus disease 2019 (also known as COVID-19) is required.
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer.
Head Start of Lane County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.