Assist classroom staff in implementing the individualized goals and objectives set forth for a particular child/children that has been identified as needing specialized assistance. Aide will observe and record specific behavioral data as well as targeted goals and objectives and routinely communicate observations and progress with program staff, consultants and parents.
Classroom Activity ( 75%)
- Adapt planned activities, materials and equipment to facilitate participation by special needs child/children.
- Help promote communication, play and socialization between the special needs child/children and other children in the classroom.
- Perform required care-giving activities for child/children, i.e. feeding, toileting, dressing etc.
- Implement behavior management techniques and monitor progress & effectiveness
- Observe, record and monitor child’s/children’s progress in the classroom.
Collaboration with Classroom Staff (25%)
- Assist staff in implementing curriculum and individualized goals for the special needs child/children to promote growth and learning in all developmental areas.
- Routinely communicate observations and progress with classroom staff, consultants and parents. Insure that professional ethics and confidentiality are maintained.
All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Prefer a minimum of one year experience in pre-school classroom or related coursework/education.
- Experience working with children with disabilities preferred.
- Ability to work in a professional manner with others in a team environment.
- Ability to closely monitor and supervise special needs child/children,
- Ability to respond to behavioral issues with appropriate behavior management processes.
- Routine decision making such as when to communicate to teachers and parents and when changes in program are needed, when emergencies arise etc.
- Daily kneeling, stooping, bending, and sitting on the floor to attend to child’s/children’s needs.
- Occasional lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Length of employment determined by child’s enrollment.
- Non Bargaining Unit/Temporary Position
- Supervised by Regional Manager
Approved by Policy Council 02/12/02, edited 05/2012
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer.