Head Start of Lane County classroom staff will follow procedures which allow for safe and timely administration of medications that have been prescribed by a Physician or Nurse Practitioner.* Medication administration will occur only after reasonable attempts have been made to schedule the medication outside of classroom hours.
- The Regional Manager (RM) will be notified whenever a parent requests that a medication be given in the classroom. The RM will then designate the staff member(s) who will be responsible for administering the medication in the classroom. If the RM determines that staff members are not adequately prepared to administer medication safely, the RM and the Health Consultant will develop a formal plan to insure that the medication can be administered safely and appropriately. (Substitute teachers will never administer medications)
- The Designated Staff Member (DSM) will have the parent fill out the Parent Permission Form. They will work together to transfer information from the prescription bottle onto the Medication Administration Flow Sheet. (Copy to Health Consultant as soon as possible so that notes can be entered into WebCAF)
- The DSM will ensure that all prescription medication is kept in the original container, which must be child resistant and properly labeled by the pharmacist. The label information must include the child’s name,frequency and amount of dosage, name of the drug, duration of administration, method of administration, expiration date, storage instructions, date filled, and name of the prescribing physician.
- DST should never administer a medication if they have concerns or do not feel adequately trained to do so. DSM will discuss the information with the parent and request information about possible adverse reactions. If the DSM is confused or concerned about the appropriateness of the medication, they must seek immediate support from the prescribing physician or the Health Consultant.
- Medication will be kept in a locked container in the First Aide Backpack or be stored in a locked drawer or cupboard. Medication that requires refrigeration will be kept in a locked container in the site refrigerator **
- Parent Notification. If the child refuses to take the medication, has an adverse reaction, or has any problems related to medication administration, the parent must be notified immediately.Unused medications must be returned to the parent when treatment is complete.
- The Medication Administration Flow sheet will be used to document the date, time, name of medication and signature of person administering the medication and any observed behavior changes following the administration of the medication.
- The Parent Permission/Medication Administration Flow sheet (combined form) and any written instructions from the physician or nurse practitioner. (This could be kept with the medication for convenience)
- Documentation in the child file and data systems should indicate communication to parents, R.M. and Health Consultant about anything related to medication administration.
*Special Cases: If a parent requests to have non-prescription medications administered in the classroom, the Health Consultant must be notified. The Health Consultant will confer with the Physician or Nurse Practitioner and the parent to determine whether it is appropriate to administer the non-prescription medication in the classroom, and then provide staff with written instructions.
** In cases in which medications are to be used for emergencies (rescue inhalers & epinephrine) the Health Consultant and staff will develop a procedure to assure that medication is out of reach of children but easily accessible to staff for emergencies.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard jdl nolvadex Buy Online Clobetasol Propionate Ointment Usp 005 http://mce.csail.mit.edu/institute/master-of-creative-writing-jobs/21/ how do you critique a research paper https://artsgarage.org/blog/thesis-in-expository-essay/83/ follow if teenager took viagra women s viagra types of essay in english language https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~asub/?doc=can-you-copyright-business-plan buy viagra 100 mg cod writing kit follow url free thesis and dissertation download prednisone corticosteroid source https://climbingguidesinstitute.org/6590-essay-questions-about-the-legislative-branch/ http://www.trinitypr.edu/admission/essay-for-college-admissions/53/ source url chemisty homework help http://almadenyoga.com/clinic/viagra-sans-ordonnances-en-pharmacie/65/ side effects on viagra for women https://healthimperatives.org/rxstore/best-prices-for-viagra-generic/71/ synthesis essay thesis examples algebra help free online como o viagra age no organismo how to write a conclusion for a college essayВ go here viagra within 24 hours buy sale cheap cialis sample of a narrative essay 45CFR Section 1304.22 .
Procedure formulated in accordance with Oregon Child Care Division Regulations, and Head Start Performance Standard 1304.22 (C)(1).)
Policy Council approved on February 14, 2006
Updated February 9th, 2006. September 2012
© 1995-2012.Head Start of LaneCounty.All rights reserved.