COVID-19 Response: Child Nutrition Monitoring Nationwide Waivers requirements:
- Off-site desk audit site monitoring is allowed.
- Two site monitoring reviews for all sites with at least one review unannounced is required. Starting September 2020, three site monitoring reviews are required.
- Six months may elapse between monitoring reviews. Starting September 2020, six months may not elapse between reviews.
- At least one review must be made during a new facility’s first four weeks of operation.
- Meal observation is not required for one unannounced review.
Effective through September 30, 2021
- Site Monitoring reviews are completed by the trained and qualified staff which includes the Food Service Manager and Food Service Assistant.
- Review CACFP Enrollment forms for enrolled students to ensure all students have an active form using Child Plus.
- Schedule site monitoring review with site’s Regional Manager (RM), Assistant Regional Manager (ARM), or other assigned staff. In order to document review as unannounced, the assigned person must not participate in reviewed tasks at the site.
- Using FaceTime or Microsoft TEAMs, call assigned staff with Child Plus open and the Site Monitoring Report for CACFP. Assigned staff uses video to assist the FSM or FSA with the review.
- Assigned staff is masked and follows physical distance guidelines at the site. Review can be completed before or after site staff and children are on site.
- Review posted sanitation inspection to ensure any findings were corrected.
- If completing Meal Observation, unannounced video recording may be submitted from a previous day. Time of meal is compared to CNP and Child Plus data. Meal is visually reviewed for components, quantities, meal service style. Point of service meal count should be included in the video.
- If not completing a Meal Observation, an email with interview questions is sent to a staff person at the reviewed site to evaluate knowledge of components, quantity, and meal service style.
- Kitchen is inspected to ensure potentially hazardous foods are properly stored and area is sanitary. Temperature logs for the daily hot food, daily fridge/freezer, and weekly sanitizer are reviewed. Food handler cards are reviewed by RM or ARM. If CFSW or Site Cook is present, personal hygiene practices are observed. Menu (and Menu Substitute documents if applicable) are reviewed.
- Prepared items for following meal are visually inspected for quantity requirements.
- The entry area is inspected for the “Building for the Future” and “Justice for All” posters. The Civil Rights Binder is reviewed for the training log and complaint forms in all necessary languages. The interview questions sent to a site staff person include a question to evaluate staff knowledge of the civil rights complaint procedure.
- Special diet reporting in Child Plus is reviewed for Medical Statements for non-reimbursable diets.
- Classroom is inspected for back up paper meal count method for taking point of service meal count. Paper attendance is reviewed for necessary requirements and compared to attendance in the Child Plus Entry Express. Paper attendance can be scanned and reviewed from previous dates. The 5-day Reconciliation is completed using Child Plus Entry Express and the posted paper meal count form. Missing dates are explained and reported to the RM in the text box. Disallowed meals are documented if necessary.
- If any problems were discovered, a follow up review is required if it cannot be corrected on site. For example, if the site is missing a posting that can be printed and posted during the review, then no follow up is needed. If a follow up review is required, corrective action must be completed in 5 operating days from the site visit. The follow up review must be completed in 5 operating days from the corrective action.
- The Site Monitoring Report for CACFP is uploaded in SignEasy to be signed by the reviewer and assigned staff. The document is printed and posted at the site. The document may also be printed for the FSM and RM’s records.
Policy Council approved August 2020