Parents are involved in experiences and activities which lead to enhancing development of skills, self-confidence, and sense of independence in fostering an environment in which their children can develop to their full potential.
- Parents are encouraged to participate in parent policy groups at orientation, family activity events and other parent offerings and on home visits and conferences.
- Parents are encouraged to conduct sessions for staff, children, and other parents in relevant activities for which they have special skills.Staff assist in providing support and materials needed for these activities.
- Parents are encouraged to participate as volunteers in social service activities making contact with community social agencies and facilitation of family activity events, as well as volunteering or observing in the classroom.(see Volunteer Orientation, Training and Follow-up, Observation, and olicy)
- Parents will receive information on family literacy including:
- interactive activities between parent and child,
- parents a the child’s first teacher,
- education for self sufficiency and
- age appropriate education as well as information sent by program consultants and coordinators/specialists.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45 CFR Section 1304.40.
Updated August 2012
It was approved by Policy Council on September 9, 1997.
© 1995-2012. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.