Head Start staff will ensure that safety is the first priority on all field trips and outings away from the Head Start site.
- A minimum of two teaching staff will accompany children on any outings that are not on Head Start premises and minimum child supervision ratios will be maintained at all times. (see Fieldtrips policy)
- Children will wear identification tags or buttons on all outings including trips to nearby parks. The child’s name will not appear on tag/button. Identification shall consist of “Head Start” and the office telephone number. For safety reason,tags/buttons are not to be worn around the neck.
- Emergency consent forms and properly stocked First Aid Kits must be taken on all field trips and other outings. (see Playground Safety policy)
- There must be a ratio of at least one Head Start staff per eight children on field trips and whenever possible the adult/child ratio should be as high as one adult per two children. It is particularly important to have a high adult to child ratio when going to places that have either a large number of people present, near water (river,lakes, ocean), or areas that are remote and have few emergency facilities/phones nearby. (See Fieldtrip policy)
- Teachers must ensure that medication or equipment needed to ensure the safety of a child with special medical needs (asthma, diabetes or other potentially life threatening conditions) is taken on the field trip.(see Medication Administration policy)
- If there are children who need one on one monitoring or attention and they are currently receiving services from EC CARES, teachers should call to make arrangements to have EC CARES accompany the child on the fieldtrip.
- Toileting: A Head Start staff person will always accompany children into off-site restrooms during fieldtrips. If gender restrictions on the public restroom facilities might interfere with this, the teaching staff are required to make arrangements to assure that teaching staff can accompany either male or female children into the public restroom.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45 CFR Section 1302.47
It has been approved by Policy Council on June 10, 1997.
Revised June 13, 2001. April 20, 2004. September 2016
© 1995-2016. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.