Head Start of Lane County will not discriminate on the basis of a disability. No qualified handicapped Head Start parent shall, solely by reason of his/her disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in the Head Start program.
Any person who believes she/he has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of a disability may file a grievance under this procedure. It is against the law for Head Start of Lane County to retaliate against anyone who files a grievance or cooperates in the investigation of a grievance.
- The compliant must be in writing and submitted to the Family Service / Community Partnership Consultant (FS/CP) within ten working days of the date the person filing the grievance becomes aware of the alleged discriminatory action.
- Head Start of Lane County will make appropriate accommodations to ensure that disabled Head Start parents are provided other accommodations if needed to participate in the grievance process. This includes but is not limited to:
- Providing interpreters for the deaf,
- Taped cassettes of material for the blind, and ensuring barrier-free location for the proceeding.
- The compliant must contain:
- Name and address of the person filing it.
- Must state the problem or action alleged to be discriminatory and the remedy or relief sought.
- The FS/CP Consultant (or designee) shall conduct an investigation of the complaint.This investigation may be informal, but it must be thorough, affording all interested persons an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint. The FS/CP Consultant will maintain the files and records of Head Start of Lane County relating to such grievance.
- The FS/CP Consultant will issue a written decision the grievance no later than 30 days after its filing.
- The person filing the grievance may appeal the decision by writing to the Executive Director within 15 days of receiving the FS/CP Consultant’s decision.
- The Executive Director will issue a written decision in response to the appeal no later than 30 days from its filing.
- Head Start parents may also file a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights.
Phone: (800) 368-1019
TDD Line: (800) 537-7697
Mailing Address: Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Room 509F, HHH Building
Washington D.C. 20201
Policy Council approved on October 11, 2005
© 2005-2010.Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.