Membership in the Policy Council may be voluntarily terminated at anytime by verbal/written notice to the Council. Failure to perform duties or attend meetings can result in being voted off the Council. (see Policy Council Removal from Office and Policy Council Voting policy)
- The resigning member must write, sign, and date a letter of resignation and submit it to the Executive Council or verbally inform the Chairperson.
- Family Support Coordinators and Executive Assistant will exchange termination notices.
- At the next parent meeting/family activity event, elections will be held to fill the vacancy. Teaching staff and/or Family Support Coordinators will forward the Council representative name, mailing address and phone number to Executive Administrative Assistant (see Policy Council Election of Parent Members policy).
- A member of the Policy Council will be voted on for termination by a two-thirds vote if he/she is absent from two consecutive meetings without a legitimate reason or has missed three meetings in one year without a legitimate reason.
- Members may be terminated by means of written notice and by a two-thirds vote from the Policy Council at any time for:
- failure to uphold the standards of Head Start;
- displays of inappropriate behavior while representing Policy Council;
- gross misconduct;
- acting on the behalf of the Policy Council without their prior authority;
- blatant disrespect of Head Start philosophies, goals, or objectives;
- neglect of duty;
- outstanding debt.
- A member being considered for termination may ask for a hearing to present justification to the Policy Council.
- If the terminated member is dissatisfied with the decision they will submit a written concern form to the Head Start Director. (see Policy Concern and Feedback policy)
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45CFR Section 1301.06
It was approved by Policy Council on September 9, 1997.
Updated October 25, 2002. October 2010. September 2013
© 1995-2013. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.