The Head Start program was piloted in Lane County in 1967. The program had been administered by several different agencies, both public and private, and has grown from serving 175 children in 1976 to serving over 1,000 children and their families in 2018/19. Since 1993 the program has been administered by Head Start of Lane County (HSOLC), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Springfield. As of 2019 there are 21 locations offering a variety of options.
Getting children off to a good start takes time, effort and planning. Head Start of Lane County believes that quality of life can be improved if opportunities for growth and development are available for children and their families.
Head Start and Early Head Start gives free comprehensive child development and family support for eligible families with children ages birth to five and pregnant women. We provide
- Classrooms reflect the cultures served
- Active, hands on learning
- Comprehensive screenings (medical, dental, vision, hearing, development)
- Free daily meals and snacks
- Resources and referrals
- Translation services
- Trainings and volunteer opportunities
Early Head Start offers two options: home base and a combination option.
- Home visits are at a time and place comfortable for the parent. During the time together, parents partner with us to create the environment and experiences they want for their child. Play groups are times to grow and learn together: exploring the classroom, sharing meals, being with other adults and children with other children.
- Combination classrooms meet two days a week in small class sizes (3 teachers and 8 children). Meals, play time and group time are the focus for these two hours together.
Head Start offers three options: part day, extended day and full day.
- Part Day classes meet four days a week for 3.5 hours. There is an AM and PM class. Part Day classes match the public school calendar as close as possible.
- Extend Day classes meet five days a week for 6 hours.
- Full Day classes meet five days a week for 10 hours. This is designed for working or student parents needing childcare.