Administers first aid and prescribed medical care to students. Defers care to the Health and Safety Consultant or other skilled health technician when situations arise that are outside of his/her scope of responsibility. Also, assist’s the Head Teacher and Teacher to provide comprehensive Head Start services to children/families. Provide a successful, safe and supervised educational setting for pre-school children (age 0-5) while they are in the Head Start environment (classroom, outdoor play area, and field trips). To abide by the Head Start of Lane County Code of Conduct and Ethics Statement written within the employee handbook. Must meet requirements per Federal Head Start Performance Standards and any local, state and or agency policies and procedures.
All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality.
- Training from OHSU Diabetes Program required to work with children with Type 1 diabetes.
- Experience in use of Welch-Allyn OAE hearing screening instrument.
- Frequent significant decision and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to supervise and monitor children at all times to ensure a safe environment. This includes the physical ability to monitor and move quickly in order to respond to children who are very active and may need restraint or redirection in order to insure their safety or the safety of others.
- Ability to handle sensitive family situations in a non-threatening and professional manner
- Ability to set and maintain professional boundaries with families.
- Must be able to work independently without intensive supervision.
- Ability to respond appropriately to an emergency or a crisis situation.
- Regular kneeling, bending and sitting on the floor to attend to child’s needs.
Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. The ability to carry or drag a child in an emergency situation in classroom setting and on the playground to a safe area.
- Length of employment determined by child’s enrollment.
- Supervised by Regional Manager and/or Health and Safety Consultant
Approved by Policy Council: March 2019
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer.