To ensure the compliance of the performance standards in the preparation, storage, and clean up of meals provided to/by Head Start.
Food Preparation and Clean Up (95%)
- Direct the preparation of approximately 40 meals per day that meet Head Start and USDA nutrition requirements.
- Plan work schedule so that food production flows smoothly
- Develop and follow standardized recipes, and use portion control methods, including the weighing/measuring of meal components.
- Ensure that special diets (as determined by Food Service Manager) are adhered to.
- Ensure that meals are prepared on schedule.
- Use appropriate guidelines for estimating amounts to be prepared, utilizing leftovers for subsequent child meals whereever possible and ensuring that extra food or leftovers are distributed or disposed of per policy.
- Use food production and food storage procedures that are in compliance with the Lane County Health Department.
- Perform weekly food inventory and place order to Central Kitchen for items needed.
- Plan and complete routine cleaning and maintenance of kitchen and equipment.
- Wash and sanitize utensils and dishes thoroughly, assist with classroom cleanup.
- Maintain proper hygiene and dress requirements for food service staff
MINOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (5%)
- Assist with supervision of volunteers.
- Help to integrate the kitchen into Head Start programs by participating in nutrition education activities.
- Maintain a cooperative working relationship with Head Start staff and parents.
- Communicate and problem solve with Regional Manager, Food Service Manager and/or Health/Nutrition Consultant.
- Attend trainings and meetings as requested.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality.
- Previous experience in a large-scale food production operation.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of quantity food preparation, equipment, and food purchasing.
- Current Food Handler’s Card.
- Enrollment in Child Care Division-Central Background Registry at time of hire.
- Health Questionnaire required post hire.
- Reliable transportation, current Oregon Driver’s License and proof of insurance.
- If driving an agency vehicle is required a DMV check will be performed at time of hire and annually, and Drug/Alcohol Screening will be done post hire.
- High level of daily repetitive motion with hands and arms in food preparation, serving and cleaning activities.
- Continuous standing and walking for most of an 8 hour work day.
- Frequent daily bending and lifting of up to 50 lbs., items are lifted from floor and work tables/counters.
- Regular crouching occurs to retrieve items from lower shelves.
- Regular reaching occurs to retrieve utensils and food items from storage shelves and cupboards up to 8′ high.
- 9 months
- Supervised by Regional Manager
This job description was last updated on July 9, 1999. Edited March 2013
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer.