To ensure the appropriate use of Head Start of Lane County’s computer and network resources by its employees, independent contractors, and other computer users.
The computers and computer accounts used by employees are provided to assist them in the performance of their jobs. The computer and network systems belong to Head Start of Lane County, and should be used primarily for Head Start business purposes.
The following policy, rules, and conditions apply to all users of Head Start of Lane County’s computer and network resources and services, wherever the users are located. Violations of this policy may result in the loss of computer and network access and/or disciplinary action, up to and including termination, and/or legal action.
Computer users are governed by the following provisions, which apply to all use of computer and network resources and services. Computer and network resources and services include, but are not limited to, the following: servers, workstations, computers, laptops, personal electronic devices, iPads, iPods, smart phones, or any device that can access computer networks and or the Internet, software, and internal or external communications networks that are accessed directly or indirectly from Head Start of Lane County’s computer facilities. The term “users”, as used in this policy, refers to all employees, volunteers, parents, family members, independent contractors, and other persons or entities accessing or using Head Start of Lane County’s computer and network resources and services.
All computer users have the responsibility to use computer resources in an efficient, effective, ethical, and lawful manner, and in a manner that is consistent with Head Start of Lane County’s policies and procedures, and with the Head Start Performance Standards.
- Fraudulent, harassing, embarrassing, indecent, profane, obscene, intimidating, violent, or unlawful material may not be deliberately sent, received, displayed, or stored on any computer or network owned by Head Start of Lane County. Any access to sexually explicit and prurient material or to gambling related material is specifically prohibited. Users encountering or receiving such material should immediately report the incident to their
- The computer and network resources and services of Head Start of Lane County may not be used for the display, transmission, or storage of commercial advertisements, solicitations, promotions, destructive programs, or any other unauthorized purpose. Use of the electronic mail systems to distribute advertisements, jokes, chain letters, or any other personal notices or messages to distribution lists or other groups of more than three people either inside or outside of Head Start of Lane County is
- Users must comply with all relevant federal and state laws regarding political activities of Head Start grantees and other publicly funded organizations. Head Start of Lane County computer and network systems may not be used “…in any manner supporting or resulting in the identification of [Head Start of Lane County] with any partisan or nonpartisan political activity or any other political activity associated with a candidate or contending faction or group in an election for public or party office” (Head Start Act, Section 656)
- (1) IN GENERAL- A program assisted under this subchapter, and any individual employed by, or assigned to or in, a program assisted under this subchapter (during the hours in which such individual is working on behalf of such program), shall not engage in–
- (A) any partisan or nonpartisan political activity or any other political activity associated with a candidate, or contending faction or group, in an election for public or party office; or
- (B) any activity to provide voters or prospective voters with transportation to the polls or similar assistance in connection with any such election
- (2) REGISTRATION- No funds appropriated under this subchapter may be used to conduct voter registration activities. Nothing in this subchapter prohibits the availability of Head Start facilities during hours of operation for the use of any nonpartisan organization to increase the number of eligible citizens who register to vote in elections for Federal office. See: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/policy/head-start-act/sec-656-political-activities
- and or “…for the preparation, distribution, or use of any kit, pamphlet, booklet, publication, radio, television, or video presentation designed to support or defeat legislation pending before Congress or any State legislature” (Section 503 of Public Law 107-116, and other appropriations acts). In addition, no federal funds, program services paid for by federal funds, Head Start agency-owned equipment, facilities, supplies, or employees on program time may be used for voter participation or lobbying See: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-107publ116/html/PLAW-107publ116.htm
- Users must exercise reasonable care to prevent loss or damage to computer hardware, software, and information in their possession. This includes, but is not limited to physical damage or loss of hardware or software and the use of reasonable care to prevent the spread of computer viruses, worms, ‘Trojan horses’, and other malicious code. Users may not connect, disconnect, alter, repair, move, or otherwise modify any Head Start of Lane County computer, monitor, printer, router, switch, or other hardware without prior express authorization to do so from the Information Systems Manager. Users must comply with all computer and network related instructions from the Information Systems Manager or designee.
- Users may not use or install software of any kind onto any Head Start of Lane County computer or network without receiving prior express authorization to do so from the Information Systems Manager. Users must comply with all software licenses, copyrights, and all other state and federal laws governing intellectual property.
- Users should seek to ensure that adequate network bandwidth is available for activities related to the mission of the agency. Users may not access digital audio and video, including streaming media, without the prior express authorization of the Information Systems Manager. The use of peer-to-peer file sharing networks is specifically
- Users must restrict personal use of Head Start of Lane County computer systems and network resources to scheduled breaks and other non-work hours, except with the permission of their supervisor. This includes, but is not limited to, the use of computer games, chat rooms, Instant Message (IM) systems, and the non-work-related use of Internet e-mail, the World Wide Web, and newsgroups. The use of personal, web-based e-mail (g., Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail), while not prohibited, is discouraged.
- Users must not attempt to access network or Internet systems unless specifically authorized to do so by the operators of those systems. Users must not alter or copy a file belonging to another user without first obtaining permission from the owner of the
- The use of Head Start of Lane County computer and network resources for union activity is governed by the current Bargaining Unit Labor.
- Head Start of Lane County has the right to take any actions that it believes are necessary to ensure the integrity of its computer and network resources. It may, at the sole discretion of the Executive Director or designee, edit or delete any program, document, or other information stored on any computer or network, including data stored on any personal computer owned by Head Start of Lane County. It also has the sole right to determine the appropriate content for the web site and portal, and to edit or delete any material posted there.
- Users are responsible for safeguarding their passwords for the system. Individual passwords should not be printed, stored on-line, or given to others. Users are responsible for all transactions made using their passwords. Under no circumstances may users allow anyone but themselves to log on to any computer or network owned by Head Start of Lane County using their password. Users must not leave their computers unattended without logging off from the computer or network
- Head Start of Lane County has the right, but not the duty, to monitor any and all aspects of the computer system, including employee e-mail, to ensure compliance with this policy. Employees should not have the expectation of privacy in anything they create, store, send, or receive on any Head Start of Lane County computer.
- Users grant permission to Head Start of Lane County to include their name, Internet address, business address, and business telephone number in publicly accessible directories, databases, and documents, including a staff directory on the World Wide Web. All other personal information will be considered confidential, and will not be published or released in any form without written.
All information about children and families receiving services from Head Start of Lane County is confidential. No information may be shared with any person or organization outside Head Start of Lane County without the prior written permission of the family, except as mandated by Oregon Law (“Exceptions to Prior Consent”, OAR 581-21-340) and Head Start policy. Head Start staff and volunteers should strive to protect the privacy of children and families in the program and should view or print confidential family information only when it is necessary to do so to better serve the family.
- Head Start of Lane County is not responsible for the actions of individual users.
This policy may be amended or revised periodically as the need arises.
Revised July 23, 2004. March 2019