Diapering will be implemented in a manner that prevents the spread of communicable disease and maintains the integrity of the diapered child’s skin. When a child enrolls and is not toilet trained, the Direct Service Team (DST) and family and/or ECSE Specialist will develop a plan to support the childs development ofindependent toileting in the school setting.
- A designated area will be established specifically for diapering that is not located in or near any food handling areas and allows privacy for the child being diapered.
- Surfaces of mats will be kept clean,waterproof, and free of cracks, tears and crevices.
- All diapers and wipes that are provided by the parent must be labeled with each child’s name and any specia linstructions and stored off the diapering surface, out of reach of children.
- If a child is observed to develop a rash or broken skin in the diapered area, please contact the Health Consultant for assistance in remedying the problem.
- Only Head Start staff, Early Childhood CARES staff and/orthe child’s parent will engage in the diapering of a Head Start child.When possible a second staff person or adult should be present or within visibility during the diapering process.
- Post step-by-step procedure handout in diapering areas.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45 CFR Section 1304.22.
It was approved by Policy Council on October 17, 1997
Revised June 13, 2001, July 2003. August 2009
© 1995-2010.Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.