Head Start funds will be made available to families to cover the cost of medical and dental care on a case by case basis, when no other source of payment is available. The Health and Nutrition Consultant (HNC) must approve the treatment plan in advance for any costs that exceed $500. There is an upper limit on spending per child, of $1500, which can be exceeded only with written authorization of the Executive Director.
- The HNC will be the primary gatekeeper for Head Start pay requests. Children will be eligible for HS payment based on these three scenarios:
- Child has Social Security Number but is over income for Oregon Health Plan. Documentation required: family income documentation, or a denial letter from OHP.
- Child does not have a Social Security Number (not a US citizen), thus ineligible for OHP. Documentation required: family income documentation, but not a denial letter from OHP.
- Family over income for OHP and has private insurance. Documentation required: information about insurance benefits, and family income documentation.
- The Family Support Coordinator (FSC) working with the family in need of Head Start pay, will be expected to assist the HNC in gathering any needed documentation, and additional information about the medical or dental care that is needed.
- If there is no medical or dental home, the HNC will determine which provider to refer the child to, based on established agreements with medical and dental providers.
- The HNC will track all expenditures in WebCAF, and work with the accounts payable department to ensure that Head Start payments do not exceed budgeted amounts.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45 CFR Section 1304.20.
It was approved by Policy Council on September 10, 2002
Updated July 17, 2003. June 2008
© 1995-2010. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.