The Hardware Technician’s role is to support and maintain in-house technology equipment and IT assets. This includes installing, configuring, diagnosing, repairing, and upgrading all HSOLC hardware and equipment while ensuring its optimal performance. The individual will also troubleshoot problem areas in a timely and accurate fashion and provide end user training and assistance where required.
Strategy & Planning
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring PC performance.
· Accurately document instances of hardware failure, repair, installation, and removal.
· Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future computer hardware needs.
· Support development and implementation of new computer projects and new hardware installations.
· Maintain up-to-date knowledge of hardware and equipment contracts and supervise contract-based installations.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on computer products in support of PC procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend hardware products for purchase.
· Write technical specifications for purchase of PCs, networking hardware and related products.
· Recommend, schedule, and perform PC, hardware and peripheral equipment improvements, upgrades, and repairs.
- Work with end users to identify and deliver required PC service levels.
· Liaise with, and provide training and support to, end users and staff on computer operation and other issues.
· Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end user workstation hardware, networked peripheral devices, and networking hardware products.
· Where required, install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot associated end user workstation software and networking software products.
· Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex PC problems for a variety of end users, and recommend and implement corrective hardware solutions, including off-site repair as needed.
· Receive and respond to incoming calls, pages, and/or e-mails regarding PC and/or hardware problems.
· Monitor and test PC performance and provide PC performance statistics and reports.
· Construct, install, and test customized configurations based on various platforms and operating systems.
· If necessary, liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors.
- Knowledge & Experience
· Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
· Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
· Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
· Ability to conduct research into PC issues and products as required.
· Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
· Understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
· Self-motivated and directed.
· Keen attention to detail.
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Customer service – help people who are frustrated with the software or hardware they are trying to use, great customer service skills are required in this position
- Listening skills – understand the problems agency employees are explaining to them, listening skills are essential.
- Troubleshooting– identifying issues by analyzing the situation and then resolving the problem
- Communication skills – must prepare clear instructions in layman’s terms, and have interpersonal skills to work well as part of a team and with agency employees
Minimum Education, Experience and Qualifications Requirements
- Associates degree in Computer Science, engineering or related field. Relevant certifications (e.g., CompTIA A+)
- Proven experience as computer technician or similar role
- Experience with LAN/WAN networks
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems and IT components
- Good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Very good communication abilities
- Exceptional organizing and time-management skills
Physical/Mental Abilities and Processes
- Employment conditional upon results of the following:
- Enrollment in Child Care Division- Central Background Registry
- DMV check
- Drug Screen
- Physical Examination and Physical Capacity Examination
- Physical capability, strength and coordination adequate to drive agency vehicles.
- The ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds for up to 100 yards.
- The ability to regularly to bend, stoop, kneel, and crawl in order to work behind and under equipment.
- Frequent bending at neck, frequent bending at waist and knees and occasional squatting.
- Must have scheduling flexibility to perform occasional weekend and/or after hour services.
The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. The qualifications, physical demands, and work environment described herein are representative of those an employee will encounter and must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel or candidate and may be subject to change at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
- 52 weeks/Bargaining Unit
- Supervised by the Information Systems Manager.
This job description was developed on March 2, 2021
Policy Council approved April 7, 2021
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer.