Provide meaningful opportunities for parents to volunteer at Head Start.
- Parents are informed of volunteer opportunities at:
- Orientation Home Visit Parent Meetings
- When parent or community members decide to volunteer, provide:
- Volunteer Orientation (see policy)) “Head Start of Lane County Volunteer Handbook” Explain policy and obtain signature on Confidentiality Statement (see policy))
- When parent arrives to volunteer
- Welcome parent.
- Have a parent sign in on Attendance Sheet for USDA purposes.
- Orient parent to classroom, including:
- centers classroom schedule
- classrooms materials list of where volunteers are needed
- emergency procedures (see and Medical Emergencies policy)
- When parent is ready to leave:
- Thank parent for help.
- Assure that all relevant In-Kind forms have been signed.
- Ask parent when they plan to volunteer again.
- Ask for feedback on the experience.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45CFR Section 1304.40.
It was approved by Policy Council on September 9, 1997.
Updated July 2, 1999
© 2010. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.