Head Start will conduct a program self assessment annually using staff, parents, governing bodies and the community to evaluate the effectiveness and progress in meeting program goals and in implementing Federal and State Performance Standards and regulations.
- Internal Consultants and the Head Start /Early Head Start Director will coordinate the annual self assessment. The self assessment will be conducted over an entire month. The Consultants and Head Start / Early Head Start Director will determine the month.
- Consultants will select staff team members. Parents, governing bodies and the community will be asked to participate in appropriate areas. When possible, community “experts” will be used to review specific areas (ex: fiscal).
- Teams will be comprised, at a minimum, of two people per area. When parents volunteer, they will be paired with a staff person. Training will be provided to all participates in their respective review area (health, education, family services, administration). Internal consultants and the Head Start Director are responsible for the training.
- These locations will rotate each year to ensure that classrooms not reviewed will be the following year. Teams will complete the site assessment using the current assessment tool and guidance sheets; turn in results to the team leader.
- Staff and parents will not review their own classroom or classrooms with relatives.
- Managers will not review a site they supervise.
- Internal consultants and Head Start/Early Head Start Director will compile all information gathered, analyze the findings and submit a written report within 30 days from the completion of the self assessment.
- Information will be shared with management, Policy Council and Board of Directors. Regional managers will share information with DST.
- The Board of Directors and Policy Council will approve the program improvement plan.
- The program improvement plan will be submitted to Office of Head Start Region X within 45 days of the completion of the self assessment.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 1304.51
It was approved by Policy Council on April 24, 2001. May 13,2003
Updated January 18, 2001. February 20, 2001. April 9, 2003.April 2009
©1995-2010. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.