All Early Head Start children will receive a vision screening within the first 45 days of the child’s first day in the program.
Risk Assessment Questionnaire
Fixation stability: Observe using a lighted finger puppet or playpeek-a-boo with the light.
- Pass: Eye fixation should be stable
- Fail:Nystagmus or unsteady fixation
Equal Vision: Cover one eye while they look at any interesting,dynamic visual target
- Pass: Aversion to occlusion is equal
- Fail:Aversion to occlusion is significantly greater when you cover one eye versus the other.
Eye Movement: Can they follow an interesting visual target (no noise) into all positions of gaze (Up, Down, Left, Right)
- Pass:Can move both eyes into all positions
- Fail:Inability to move eyes into all positions
Stereopic Vision: Lang stereo card may be used for 2 – 3 yr olds only if they can see and point to the Star.
- Pass:Can see and point to the Star and Elephant
- Fail:Can point to the Star but not the Elephant
Policy Council approved: May 2010
Performance Standards 45 CFR Section 1304.20.