Assists in maintaining accurate accounting systems for Head Start of Lane County, including: primary responsibility for Accounts Payable, account analysis and financial reporting, occasional back-up for Accounts Receivable and Payroll. Utilize agency-adopted accounting software to process data and complete reports and other documentation.
Essential Job Responsibilities – Performance Indicators
Accounts Payable (80%)
- Serve as administrator for Electronic Requisitioning (E-Req) and assist staff in proper use of the system when necessary.
- Process approved E-Req checking for coding accuracy regarding program, region and department and ensuring proper approval levels.
- Prepare E-Req for recurring expenses such as rents and utilities and process using the E-Req software.
- Prepare checks for signature and file with supporting documentation.
- Stay current on the rules and regulations regarding proper use of State and Federal grant funds for Head Start purposes.
- Assist staff when necessary regarding proper coding of expenses and federal and state policies regarding purchases.
- Meet at least annually with Regional Assistants to go over proper requisitioning and year-end close out procedures.
- Generate, audit and file payable reports along with supporting documentation.
- Reconcile and analyze all related general ledger accounts on a monthly basis reviewing for accuracy of coding by Program, Region and Department.
- Maintain AP distribution and other codes within the agency adopted accounting system.
- Prepare journal vouchers to post Electronic Fund Transactions for grant revenue, 403(b) payments, garnishments, tax payments and other miscellaneous items.
Accounting Assistance (20%)
- Assist in various report preparation to keep managers apprised of the agency’s financial status.
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash for the central office and regions.
- Prepare weekly miscellaneous receipts for deposit and prepare and post cash receipts in agency adopted accounting software.
- Prepare for and assist with audit.
- Stay current regarding payroll processes and changes in procedures and serve as primary backup for payroll.
- Assist the Accounts Receivable clerk with bank deposits and other related functions as needed and serve as backup support when needed.
- Assist in revision of finance procedure manual as necessary.
- Attend occasional meetings, training, etc., as needed or requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate Degree in Accounting, or related field preferred and minimum of several years (full-time equivalent) relevant general accounting and financial analysis experience.
- Knowledge of Agency adopted accounting software and/or proven ability to utilize complex computerized accounting systems.
- Strong computer skills, word processing, spreadsheets, email and internet.
- Enrollment in the Child Care Division Central Background Registry.
- Health Questionnaire required post-employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong diagnostic and problem solving skills, particularly mathematical, bookkeeping and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to problem-solve and accurately reconcile general ledger accounts and perform other accounting/bookkeeping functions.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to monitor and priorities work load and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) effectively and appropriately with others.
- Sustained concentration and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to interpret State and Federal Head Start policies and regulations.
- Daily sitting at desk for long periods of time, working at computer keyboard. Frequent standing, bending or lifting files and occasionally lifting boxes up to 25 lbs.
All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentially.
- 52 weeks per program year
- Bargaining Unit
- Supervised by Finance Director
This Job Description was created October 2019
Policy Council approval November 2019
Head Start of Lane County is EEO Employer.