Classroom Time (Approx 55%)
- Assist in setting up environment (indoor/outdoor) for the activities of the day.
- Use developmentally appropriate practices to facilitate activities with groups and individuals.
- Observe and record behaviors of children to assist the teacher in the identification of each child’s strengths and areas to grow.
- Utilize lesson plans at the direction of classroom staff, which reflect mandated elements, parental and cultural influences, and promote the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development of Head Start children.
- Follow a consistent schedule which includes small and large group experiences, choice time, music and movement, large and small motor activities, skill development, three meals, and effective transitions between activities.
- Encourage experimentation, exploration, problem solving, cooperation, socialization, and choice making; ask open-ended questions and listen respectfully to the answers.
- Provide an atmosphere that promotes and reinforces parental involvement in the classroom. .
- Sanitize classroom equipment and laundry.
- Assist with meal service as needed.
Bus Monitor ( up to 40%)
- Monitor and manage behavior of children.
- Secure children in age/weight appropriate restraints.
- Communication with families, including mail, sign-off to authorized adults, cell phones etc.
- Assist in emergency evacuation.
Misc. (approx 5%)
- Assure/assist in general maintenance and security of facility.
- Attend meetings, training’s, and appropriate professional development activities when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start’s policy on confidentiality.
- Percentages of job responsibilities may vary depending upon site needs and locations.
- Substitutes will remain on sub lists for entire program year (Aug 1, thru July 31)
- Supervised by Regional Manager.
This job description was last updated on 08/30/04. August 2021
This job description was last updated on 08/11/2021. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This job description is subject to change at any time.
Because this position requires in-person work and is student and/or visitor facing, complete vaccination against coronavirus disease 2019 (also known as COVID-19) is required.
Head Start of Lane County is an EEO Employer.
Head Start of Lane County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions, including the recruiting, hiring, placement, training availability, promotion, compensation, evaluation, disciplinary actions, and termination of employment (if necessary) are made without regard to the employee’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation, source of income, place of residence, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, marital status, military veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.