Head Start of Lane County will take necessary steps to ensure that qualified parents with disabilities, including those with impaired sensory or speaking skills, receive effective notice concerning benefits or services or written material concerning waivers of rights or consent to treatment. Services are provided at no cost to the parent.
- Parents will inform Head Start staff of any hearing, vision or speech impairments through the Head Start enrollment application.
- Head Start staff will obtain necessary support in order to communicate with parents with sensory impairments.
- For sign language, the agency will contract with the local service provider and/or use staff who are trained to sign. Contact Child Development/Disabilities Consultant for current provider information.
- For hearing impairment, the agency will contact the local telephone service provider for a TTY number – dial 711.
- For vision impairment, staff will read the content concerning benefits, services, waivers of rights and consent for additional services and when necessary, have information available in Braille.
- For speech impairments written material, computers and other available devices will be used to help communicate.
- Parents have the option to use family, friends and disabilities services staff to help interpret material for them.
Policy Council approved on October 11, 2005
©2005-2006. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.