Family files are maintained and kept confidential.
- Family files are established, maintained, and kept confidential at all program levels. Staff are responsible to keep all paper files in a locked cabinet or locked classroom when not in use and electronic files are kept on a secure computer, with staff logging out when not in use.
- When transporting a child site file to any location, staff will utilize a lock box. Each region will be issued a lock box.
- Family files include completed forms and reports along with all documented WebCAF information.
- Information regarding child abuse concerns is not considered part of the child’s educational record but will be documented in WebCAF and retained for five years. (see Child Abuse policy)
- Parents have the right to review their child’s site file. In order to do so, parents request to review and staff will make an appointment within one week to review the file.
- A staff member will be present during this review time and can make one copy of any needed documentation requested by the parent(s).
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45CFR Section 1304.40.
It was approved by Policy Council on September 9, 1997.
Updated June 30, 1999. June 25, 2002. July 2, 2003. September 2012. February 2013.
© 1995-2013. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.