Child/ Family records, as well as all protected personally identifiable information, will be kept confidential at all times and until disposed of in a secure manner.
- HSOLC personnel will agree to and sign on the HSOLC Confidentiality Statement (see Confidentiality Statement policy) before being allowed access to child/ family records or any files with protected personally identifiable information. Subrecipient(s) and/ or contractor(s) will sign the Interagency Agreement of Confidentiality and HS will also gather first party permission for the exchange of information between HS and sub recipient/ contractor with a Release of Information form.
- Child/ Family records, and any files with protected personally identifiable information, whether hard copy paper files or electronic files, will be kept confidential at all program levels. Staff are held responsible to keep paper files in a locked cabinet or locked classroom when not in use. Electronic files are kept on a secure computer, with a two point log in system. Only designated personnel who have signed HSOLC’s Confidentiality Statement will have access to confidential records. Staff will lock the computer or log out of the system when not actively accessing confidential records on an HSOLC computer.
- Child/ Family records include completed forms and reports along with all documented ChildPlus information. Such forms, reports and documentation will be kept confidential at all times.
- Documentation regarding a concern of child abuse is not considered part of the child’s educational record but will be documented in ChildPlus. and Child/ Family files will be retained for five years: hard copy files under lock and key, electronic files in a secured system . (see Child Abuse policy)
- Parents/legal guardians have the right to review their child’s file. Refer to Student Education Record policy for review procedure.
- Hard copy Child/ Family eligibility files will be destroyed 5 years after the child ages out of the Head Start program. Electronic files will be maintained on a secured server that only designated personnel can access.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45CFR Section 1304.40.
It was approved by Policy Council on September 9, 1997. October 2019
Updated June 30, 1999. June 25, 2002. July 2, 2003. September 2012. February 2013. September 2019
© 1995-2019. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.