In accordance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which makes it a crime to alter, cover up,falsify or destroy any document with the intent of impeding or obstructing any official proceeding, this policy provides for the systematic review, retention and destruction of documents received or created by Head Start of Lane County in connection with the transaction of organization business. This policy covers all records,documents, regardless of physical form.
- The Operations Director will be responsible for the ongoing process of identifying its records, which have met the required retention period and overseeing their destruction.
- Hard copy of documents will be destroyed by shredding after they have been retained until the end of the document retention period. (see Fiscal Record Retention policy)
- Online copies will be destroyed by proven means to destroy such media after they have been retained until the end of the document retention period.
- Document destruction will be suspended immediately, upon any indication of any official investigation or when a lawsuit is filed or appears imminent. Destruction will be reinstated upon conclusion of the investigation.
- Failure on the part of employees to follow this policy can result in possible civil and criminal sanctions against Head Start of Lane County and its employees and possible disciplinary action against responsible individuals.
- The Executive Director will periodically review these procedures with legal counsel or the Board of Director approved auditors to ensure that the policy is in compliance with new or revised regulations.
Policy Council approved 2/9/2010
Board of Directors approved 2/16/2010