Point of service meal counts must be taken at the “point-of-service.” For family style meal service, the “point-of-service” is when the participant is seated at the table with the complete reimbursable meal set on the table.
- Ensure all children intending to eat are seated at the table.
- Ensure all components of the meal are placed on the table.
- Use the point-of-service meal count record to mark the meal for each child seated at the table
- Before marking the point-of-service meal count record determine if a child is receiving a food substitute that results in a missing meal component.
- If a child is receiving a food substitution that results in a missing meal component, only mark that meal if there is a Medical Statement for Food Substitution on file.
- Mark sibling meals in the “sibling” column of the meal count record.
- Use the attendance record to double-check that child marked as receiving a meal is also marked as “present”.
- Total the number of children marked as receiving a meal at the bottom of the point-of-service mail count for each day for the meal being served.
- Double check the total count for the meal and initial the record.
- If family activity event attendance is recorded on a separate “Point of Service Meal Count” form it should be turned in to the region office the next day then forwarded to the Food Service Manager along with the sign in/out attendance sheet for that family activity event.
- When the last meal is served each month, a new Point of Service Meal Count form will be posted and the month’s tally will be submitted to the Regional Office and to the Regional Assistant to reconcile monthly, and then forward to the Food Service Manager and Food Service Assistant to double check to ensure that the monthly meal counts are accurately reconciled and reported to CACFP for reimbursement.
- The Food Service Manager will ensure that only Head Start participates are included in the meal count.
- The Food Service Manager will submit classroom tally totals to the ODE-CACFP office before the 10th of the month for reimbursement.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45CFR Section 1304.23.
It was approved by Policy Council on October 14, 1997. January 2015.
Updated July 18, 2000. July 24, 2002.July 17, 2003. July 14 ,2004. February 1, 2007. July 2008. March 2010. May 2013. November 2014
© 1995-2014. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.