The purpose of the Policy Council is to provide a formal means of involving parents, agency, and community persons in decisions affecting the operation and management of the Head Start program.
- At a minimum, the Policy Council is expected to:
- Participate in establishing criteria for and the selection of the program staff.(see Policy Council Subcommittees policy)
- Assist the agency in the development of and give approval to Head Start grant applications.
- Initiate suggestions and ideas for program improvements. (see Program Evaluation policy)
- Establish a procedure for hearing complaints against the Head Start program. (see Policy Council Concern and Feedback policy)
- Assist agency in organizing activities for parents, communicating with present and past parents, encouraging active parent participation, recruiting volunteers, and mobilizing community resources.
- Serve as a link between public and private organizations.
- Establish and review Head Start policy and approve major programmatic changes.
- Evaluate program on an annual basis using the program evaluation tools.. (see Program Evaluation policy and Program Self Assessment)
- Review and approve of disbursement of parent activity and Policy Council funds on an annual basis.
- Plan and implement participation in local community events:
- parades, etc.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45CFR Section 1301.3
It was approved by Policy Council on September 9, 1997.
Updated October 25, 2002., April 2009. October 2017
© 1995-2011. Head Start of Lane County. All rights reserved.