Non-food items are stored separately from food. (see Food Storage policy)
- All cleaning supplies and other poisonous materials are stored in locked compartments or in compartments well above the reach of children and separate from food, dishes, and utensils.
- Insect and rodent poisons and other hazardous substances and materials other than those needed for kitchen sanitation are stored in locked compartments outside of the kitchen area.
- All containers of poisonous materials are clearly labeled.
- The storage area must be kept clean and free of dust or debris.
- All cleaning supplies must have a material safety data sheet readily available at each site and be kept and organized in a file or notebook. (see Classroom Safety policy)
- Store chemicals and cleanser completely separate from food, utensils and serving items.
This policy complies with Head Start Performance Standard 45CFR Section 1304.23.
It was approved by Policy Council on October 14, 1997.
Updated June 2010.